Programming for all kinds of electronic equipment, from sensors for hydrogen engine pollution tanks to submarine navigation systems, means no two days as an embedded software engineer are the same. Zina Berlin, Practice Leader of the Embedded Software Engineering team, shares her experiences and thoughts on why Expleo is a great environment for someone looking to build their career.
My passion for software engineering goes back to High School when I first tried programming home IoT systems in an introductory class. When those systems worked, I knew it was what I wanted to do. The journey from there to where I am today hasn’t always been easy but it has always been worth it. I joined Expleo in 2016 and have since strengthened my skills, built relationships with colleagues I consider friends and progressed my career. There have been many positives to joining the Embedded Software Engineering team at Expleo. These are six I would like to highlight:
- Learning & Development: Challenging yourself is a great way to keep growing. At Expleo, we believe a work environment should also be a learning one. Having the freedom to develop according to our interests and needs is vital too. This is why we have an in-house laboratory and incubator where you can spend one day per week working on a personal research project and are encouraged to design and implement the ideas you want to explore.
- P2P Support: Having a team and support network where you feel comfortable is a significant contributor to success. We encourage our colleagues to feel free to ask questions without fear – whether about a technical topic or the direction of the business. As a Practice Leader, my role is to have your back whatever the issues you face. As a new junior team member, you’ll also have a designated mentor to help you.
- The Expleo Laboratory: Much of our work takes place at our very own state-of-the-art lab which houses the very best in tools and equipment. It also allows us to work from a single location, directly with our colleagues from other teams such as hardware engineers or digital electronics engineers. We’re able to be part of the Expleo family every day and deliver great products all in one place.
- Career Paths as Technical Managers: Everyone here, managers included, has a technical background and I think it’s great for two main reasons. First, we all speak the same language and can easily share our experiences to make progress. Second, it means that if your interest in taking up managerial responsibilities grows, you’re encouraged to take that direction, as Expleo can offer multiple career paths.
- Diverse & Ambitious Client Projects: Expleo partners with big name clients from all over the world meaning you have the opportunity to work on creative and varied projects. We also engage on a per-project-pricing basis which emphasises delivering the very best in cutting-edge projects, across every stage of development, for our customers.
- Positive Atmosphere: Every workplace is different but I can happily say that Expleo is a fun and friendly company to make a career with. The support of your team and colleagues is always reassuring and communicating with upper management is very easy and accessible.