Systems to be updated to improve performance
Our client, one of the largest urban railway operators in Europe, is undertaking a vast programme of digital transformation and modernisation of its railway systems to enhance service reliability and improve the residents’ quality of life. This large and complex programme includes many projects such as:
- Rolling stock modernisation
- Automation of several existing lines
- Modernisation of existing railway systems
These projects are part of a contracted delivery schedule and happen within a context of market liberalisation.
Updating the Network Operating System with Expleo
With many years of experience in railway engineering acquired with the largest European manufacturers and operators, Expleo supports its client in the deployment, integration, and monitoring of the network operating system.
Network Operating System is a set of complex digital and intelligent tools intended to support operators in running their networks. These digital and interfaced tools facilitate driving, help supervise operations, inform passengers, improve train management, increase frequency, and enhance services.
As part of this proramme, Expleo offers the client a whole range of services:
- System design: Formulation of technical specifications and drafting of specifications for the modernisation of Network operating system During the pre-project phase, Expleo’s on-board electronics and IT training engineers begin preparing the specifications and establish technical and functional specifications. Once the contract is awarded, Expleo supports the customer and the Network operating system supplier throughout the product life cycle to ensure the designed system meets the specifications indicated.
- Test and Commissioning: Support from delivery to reception and installation of Network operating system, Expleo experts write test scenarios, apply them to test benches and supports the customer and its suppliers by installing, deploying and commissioning these systems. We support the performance of these tests with our knowledge of specific topics.
- Maintenance support: Supporting the customer’s teams by preparing and carrying out the product maintenance phases. Expleo produces the maintenance documentation — accompanies or writes the methodology and the maintenance documents used by the technicians and supports the system maintenance activities, for both the customer and the manufacturers working with them.
- Cross-functional governance: Project management and steering with all stakeholders to ensure deadlines, costs and quality are all met.
- Other services: Systems engineering, Verification and Validation (V&V), project management.
Examples of the technology platforms used included ATC, ATS, OCC.
Improved performance and productivity gains
- Full coverage of all phases of the transformation programme’s V-shaped cycle: Expleo supports its client in setting up its ERTMS and CBTC systems on several lines.
- Support continuity: Expleo’s teams work in close collaboration with the customer’s technical experts and the supplier responsible for the development of the ERTMS and CBTC systems to ensure daily project monitoring, defining the systems’ technical and functional specifications, testing and commissioning.
- Modernising Network operating system will make it possible to attract new passenger customers, with more routes, an increasingly frequent service, an increase in performance and productivity gains.
- Reduced costs and lead times with optimal project management.
Vice President and Head of Rail Transportation, Expleo Group